We are hometown news

Help end childhood hunger during the Great American Bake Sale

Help end childhood hunger during the Great American Bake Sale nijah-adamsbw.jpg
By Courtney Llewellyn Reminder Assistant Editor SPRINGFIELD "What breaks your heart more than a hungry child?" wonders Nijah Adams, a Springfield teen who will be a senior at Cathedral High School this fall and a young philanthropist. Adams is aiming to mend some broken hearts by participating in this year's Great American Bake Sale. The Great American Bake Sale is a national campaign that mobilizes Americans to end childhood hunger by hosting bake sales in their communities, according to a release from the organization. The money raised by the nationwide bake sales goes toward a grants program to help non-profit organizations ensure children have access to afterschool and summer meal programs. Adams decided to participate in the bake sale after seeing an advertisement for it on the Food Network. "I've been cooking since I could walk," she said. She added that she loves to bake, and her interest in the culinary arts shines through in her bake sale efforts. In addition to selling the usual brownie and cookie fare, Adams wants to offer a variety of other exotic treats. "I want it to be cultural and offer some Jamaican, some Spanish desserts," she said. "Doing that gives you a lot of spice. It's just a little twinkle in there that there's something different at my bake sale." The young chef will be offering Chinese cheesecakes to those with a sweet tooth, among other unique desserts. "One thing that I love about this program is that 100 percent of the funds go back into food programs and our nutritional education program, Share Our Strength's Operation Frontline," Brei Whitty, an organizer of the Bake Sale, said. "The Great American Bake Sale tries to grant back roughly 75 percent of funds to hunger organizations in states in which the funds were received." The other 25 percent goes toward Operation Frontline, she added. Last year, grants were given to the East Boston YMCA and End Hunger Connecticut Inc. in Hartford. Adams said she is aiming to raise $500 with her bake sale this year, but is hoping to raise $3,000. "I want this to be a big event," she said. "I want to help out tremendously." The local Great American Bake Sale, as organized by Adams, will be taking place in two locations on Aug. 23 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: at the Stop & Shop on Boston Road and at the Martin Luther King Jr. Center off of State Street. Anyone interested in helping out during the bake sale or donating baked goods should contact Adams at 734-3065 or nini199023@yahoo.com. To learn more about the Great American Bake Sale, visit www.greatamericanbakesale.org.

Music, Arts and Community Events

Post Your Event

Local News

Local News


Sports Pic of the Week

Twitter Feed