'Puppet Potpourri' comes to Springfield Museums
SPRINGFIELD -- The Springfield Museums' Summer Festival Days series will continue Aug. 2 to 6 with "Puppet Potpourri" week.
Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted. Summer Festival Days is sponsored in part by Berkshire Bank.
The following is a complete list of events:
- Aug. 2: Make a playful people puppet from noon to 3:45 p.m.
- Aug. 3: "The Princess Who Escapes from Pirates" by the Talking Hands Theatre at 1 p.m. Go on an adventure with a princess, a magic frog and silly pirates.
- Aug. 4: "Martin's Magical Musical Review" by the Wayne Martin puppets at 1 p.m. A variety of puppet characters come to life through parody, mime, dance and music.
- Aug. 5: "Caps for Sale" by PuppeTree at 1 p.m. A celebration of diversity based on the popular children's book.
- Aug. 6: "Puppet Potpourri" by the Puppet People at 1 p.m. An original variety show featuring musical favorites and puppets galore.
The following is a list of daily activities:
- See the special exhibit of LEGO sculptures, "The Art of the Brick," at the D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts and create your own LEGO masterpieces in The Brick Lab at the Science Museum (additional fee).
- Hands-on Family Science Adventures from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Planetarium shows at 11:15 a.m., noon, 1 and 2 p.m. at the Science Museum (additional fee).
- Scavenger Hunts from 11 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Pan for gems and minerals at the Museum Mining Company from noon to 3:45 p.m. (additional fee).
The final week in the Summer Festival Days series will be Super Science Week from Aug. 9 to 13.
The Springfield Museums are located on the Quadrangle at 21 Edwards St. Free parking is available in the Edwards Street parking lots.
Summer hours are Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Science Museum is open Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission is $12.50 for adults, $9 for seniors and college students, $6.50 for children ages three to 17, and free for children under three and museum members.
General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address. The fee provides admission to all four museums and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden.
For information, call 263-6800 or visit their Web site, www.springfieldmuseums.org.