Springfield museums host Amazing Animals week
SPRINGFIELD The Springfield Museums Summer Festival Days series will continue July 12-16 with "Amazing Animals" week. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted. Summer Festival Days is sponsored in part by Berkshire Bank.
This Week's Schedule
- July 12 Make an animal doorknob hanger, noon-3:45 p.m.
- July 13 Performance, 1 p.m.: "Exotic Animals from around the World," a live animal presentation that features fun facts about unusual creatures.
- July 14 Performance, 1 p.m.: "Penguins! Fascinating Facts and Tantalizing Trivia" by Dyan de Napoli, "The Penguin Lady"
- July 15 Make an animal doorknob hanger, noon-3:45 p.m.
- July 16 Performance, 1 p.m.: "Premium Live Animal Show" by Animal Adventures - Adventure guides will introduce a South American Coati, a Kinkajou, a Ring-Tailed Lemur, an African Desert Fox, a Wallaby, a Common Marmoset, and a Eurasian Eagle Owl, the largest type of owl in the world.
- See the special exhibit of LEGO sculptures, The Art of the Brick, at the D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts and create your own LEGO masterpieces in The Brick Lab at the Science Museum. (additional fee)
- Hands-on Family Science Adventures, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Planetarium shows, 11:15 a.m., noon, 1 and 2 p.m., Science Museum (additional fee).
- Scavenger Hunts, 11 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
- Pan for gems and minerals at the Museum Mining Company, noon-3:45 p.m. (additional fee)
Upcoming programs in the "Summer Festival Days" series are:
- July 19-23 African Adventures
- July 26-30 Mythical Creatures
- August 2-6 Puppet Potpourri
- August 9-13 Super Science
The Springfield Museums are located on the Quadrangle at 21 Edwards Street in downtown Springfield. Free parking is available in the Edwards Street parking lots. Summer hours are Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. (Science Museum open Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.- 5 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m.). Admission is $12.50 for adults, $9 for seniors and college students, $6.50 for children 3-17, and free for children under three and museum members. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address. The fee provides admission to all four museums and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden.
For information, call 263-6800 or visit www.springfieldmuseums.org.