Parade a success
The East Longmeadow Fourth of July Parade is now in the history books. The parade route once again was lined heavily with spectators, the weather initially looked ominous but turned out perfect with a warm sun and light breeze.
The Parade Committee wishes to take this opportunity to thank the people, businesses, organizations and sponsors that provided support for the 2012, Fourth of July Parade.
Without your continued support we would not have been able to celebrate our Independence and pay respect to our veterans, nor our military men and women who have maintained our freedom and way of life.
Special Thanks to: the citizens and taxpayers of the Town of East Longmeadow; all of our band and unit sponsors; area and community organizations; area and community businesses; Acre's Power Equipment; Bach Towing; Custom Auto Body; The Donut Dip; East Longmeadow Cable Access Television; Elmcrest Country Club; Hartline Stripping and Sealcoating; Joe Pereria; Maybury Material Handling; Mt. Tom Amateur Repeaters Association for Communications; W. B. Hill; Northeast Wholesale Lumber; Perron's Automotive; Reminder Publications; The Republican/Metro South; St. Michael's Parish; Stop & Shop Supermarket; Pride Gas Station; CJ's Towing; Wingate of East Longmeadow; various town departments and offices
The House Decorating Contest was suspended for this year, so that the committee could evaluate the route change.
Many homes and some businesses showed their patriotic spirit and the committee commends you for doing so. Some of the addresses are as follows; 73 Elm St., 60 and 102 North Main St., 76 Mapleshade Ave., and 107, 123 and 127 Maple St.
To these people, we commend you for showing your patriotism, and pride.
Congratulations to the following musical groups:
- Best Marching Band East Longmeadow High School
- Best Fife and Drum Corps Windsor Fife and Drum Corps
- Best Drum and Bugle Corp Excelsior Drum and Bugle Corps
- Most Entertaining Musical Unit Polish American String Band
- Best Cadence Excelsior Drum and Bugle Corps
- Best Drum Major Marquis of Granby Fife & Drum Corps
- General Effects (Overall) Les Eclairs
Congratulations to the following floats:
- Patriotic Class: First Place Springfield Lodge of Elks; Second Place East Longmeadow Lion's Club; Third Place Lenox; Fourth Place Whispering Horse Therapeutics.
- Open Class: First Place Chicopee Falls Moose Family; Second Place Chicopee Parade Committee; Third Place East Longmeadow First Baptist Church; Fourth Place Body Works.
Congratulations to the following fire departments:
- Best Appearing Pumper 2000's Shaker Pines Fire Department
- Best Appearing Pumper 70's, 80's, 90's Series Southwick Fire Department
- Best Appearing Aerial/Platform Enfield Fire Department
- Best Appearing Tanker Westover ARB Fire Department
- Best Appearing Rescue Brimfield Fire Department
Finally, a special thank you to all of the banner carriers and parade marshals. The hard work and support that you provide during the parade, allows the Parade Committee to provide a quality and family oriented parade each year.
The parade committee is also interested in receiving your input/feedback on the parade. Please send your comments to email@example.com
or P.O. Box 828, East Longmeadow, MA 01028.
Information about the parade is available throughout the year at the committee's website, www.july.ws
Brian A. Falk
East Longmeadow Fourth of July Parade Committee
Comments From Our Readers: