Starts on June 19th, 2014 and occurs
every week on
Thursdays until August 14th, 2014.
|3:30 PM to 8:00 PM|
|Community Music School of Springfield | 127 State Street, Springfield, MA 01103|
| contact Christiana Racicot, registrar at 413-732-8428 |
• Adult Big Band: adults and college students.
• Youth Jazz Band: Middle and High School students, grades 7 - 12.
• Adult Big Band: Thursday, 6 – 8 PM
• Youth Jazz Band: Thursday, 3:30 – 5:30 PM
All levels are welcome. Participants should be able to read music, however, improvisational skills are not necessarily required.
Instrumentation includes woodwinds (saxophones, flute, clarinet), brass (trumpets, trombones), guitar, piano, bass and drums.
Participants will be given the opportunity to learn, rehearse and perform music from Duke Ellington, which spans 50 years. This will also include music of Ellington's associates: Billy Strayhorn, Johnny Hodges, Bubber Miley, Rex Stewart, Ben Webster, Clark Terry, Paul Gonsalves and others.
The repertoire will include transcriptions by the director, Wayne Roberts and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Series, Essentially Ellington.
Workshops will cover:
• Jazz Improvisation and Theory
• Listening Sessions
• Stylistic Analysis and Interpretation
• Jazz History
• Public Concert at CMSS Robyn Newhouse Hall on the 8th Week.
$325/8-Week Session, $10 Registration Fee + $162.50 Deposit
Scholarships are available for the Youth Jazz Band. Please inquire.
To register, contact Christiana Racicot, registrar at 413-732-8428
For more information about Wayne Roberts: waynerobertsmusic.com / cmgjazz.com