AHA's 'Better U' online program teaches heart health
SPRINGFIELD American Heart Month may be over, but good heart health is something people should think about throughout the entire year.
The American Heart Asso-ciation (AHA) can provide the tools and resources that can help people keep on track or get them going on the path to good heart health with an online program called "BetterU." "BetterU" is a free 12-week online nutrition and fitness program that can help women make better lifestyle choices.
Heart disease is the number one killer of women in the U.S., taking the life of one in three women almost one woman every minute. However, research shows that 80 percent of cardiac events in women are preventable with simply lifestyle choices involving diet, exercise and smoking.
Each week of the program focuses on a different area of heart health and provides step-by-step guidance. Participants have access to important heart health information, expert tips, recipes and an online journal. "Go Red BetterU" isn't about fad diets or trends. It helps busy women learn the skills to easily build healthier and better lives for themselves and their families.
"Go Red BetterU" is free and accessible at any time of the day at www.GoRedForWomen.org. The "BetterMe Coaching Tool" is downloadable to computer desktops, blogs and even iGoogle personalized homepages.
Powered by the science of the AHA, "Go Red BetterU" provides guidance to help women transform their overall health through small, simple choices.
The "Go Red BetterMe Coaching Tool" helps keep participants on track with daily reminders and tips, interactive videos from real women and a personalized journal.
The "Go Red BetterU" program offers:
- Twelve weeks of step-by-step guidance on becoming healthy.
- A downloadable online "BetterMe Coaching Tool." People can place it anywhere their desktop, iGoogle or their blog.
- Three hundred and sixty-five daily tips from AHA's expert coaches on nutrition, stress, physical activity and more.
- Structured long- and short-term goal setting for each participant.
- Individual journaling capabilities.
- A "BetterU" forum to connect with other participants.
- Healthy recipes and cooking tips to keep participants on track.
"BetterU" gives women guidance to make over their total health through small simple choices and messages, such as:
- Each woman's body is unique.
- Each woman has her own health concerns.
- Don't compare oneself to others.
- Aim for one's own best health.
- Stock one's purse for heart health: chewing gum, a fruit or fruit cup and low-fat granola bars or trail mix are good options.
- No time for exercise? Break up activity into 10- to 15-minute sessions.
To start improving heart health today, visit the Go Red Web site at www.goredforwomen.org/betteru