Longmeadow Parks and Recreation announces July, August programsMarch 26, 2012
LONGMEADOW The Longmeadow Parks and Recreation Department is offering a series of summer camps throughout July and August.
An open house for new campers and returning campers is scheduled for June 22 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Greenwood Children's Center and Greenwood Park. This open house will allow attendees the opportunity to meet the staff that will be working with children this summer and take this opportunity to visit the facility.
- Wet and Wild Week June 25 to 29. Register by June 22.
- Nick Jr. Week July 2 to 6. Register by June 29.
- Adventure Week July 9 to 13. Register by July 6.
- Blast from the Past Week July 16 to 20. Register by July 13.
- Shark Week July 23 to 27. Register by July 20.
- Around the World July 30 to Aug. 3. Register by July 27.
- Harry Potter Week Aug. 6 to 10. Register by Aug. 3.
- Animal Week Aug. 13 to 17. Register by Aug. 10.
- Disney Week Aug. 20 to 24. Register by Aug. 17.
- Wacky Week Aug. 27 to 31. Register by Aug. 24.
There will be no camp activities on July 4 in observance of Independence Day. The fee for this week is reduced to reflect a four-day session.
All-Day Camp Programs
Regular camp hours are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Extended camp hours are from 7:15 to 9 a.m. and/or 3 to 6 p.m.
Parents and guardians have the option of selecting part-time or half-day options of camp, as well as selecting either morning or afternoon extended camp options.
The cost for camp on Monday, Wednesday and Friday is $124 per week. Campers will pay $83 per week to attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Half-day camp from 9 a.m. to noon or from noon to 3 p.m. costs $98.50 per week.
Morning extended camp from 7:15 to 9 a.m. is $26 per week and afternoon extended camp from 3 to 6 p.m. costs $32 per week.
Please note: Early drop-off or late pick-up will result in a $1 per minute charge.
To register for camp, obtain a registration form and health form. Visit www.lprd.net to download forms or visit the Parks and Recreation Office at the Community House. Participants must be registered by the Wednesday afternoon before the camp begins to avoid a $10 late registration fee.
Those who choose to register online, must mail all required forms within two weeks to: Longmeadow Parks and Recreation Department, 735 Longmeadow St., Longmeadow, MA 01106.
Full Day Camps
Campers will enjoy traveling to specials such as art, drama and sports each day. In addition, each camp group attends Red Cross Certified Swim Lessons and free swim each day. Each unit travels with their counselors to each activity.
Camp begins at 9 a.m. sharp at the Greenwood Camp Shed. Campers complete morning exercises, lunch, and end of the day meeting as a large group. Please note that in the event of inclement weather, drop-off and/or pick-up is in the Greenwood building by the gym.
Camps include Shooting Stars for those entering kindergarten and first grades; Comets for grades two and three; Asteroids for grades four and five; and Leadership In Training for grades six to eight.
Middle schoolers looking to enhance leadership skills have the opportunity to come enjoy the summer at Leadership in Training Camp (LIT). Skills such as babysitting, team building and leadership will be reviewed throughout the summer. LIT campers assist the younger campers in activities and swim lessons. LIT participants meet at the Greenwood Shed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day.
Counselor in Training (CIT) will be offered for grades nine and 10. High school students who are not yet old enough to work and/or seeking to gain leaderships skills have the opportunity to do so at CIT. Campers assist the sports, drama and art specialists with all aspects of activities, and gain skills in group supervision. CIT participants meet at the Greenwood Shed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day.
Other camps include the following:
- One-week Outdoor Adventure for ages 11 to 15 from July 9 to 13 or July 30 to Aug. 3. Fee: $375.
- Summer Cool Theatre Camp for grades four to nine from July 30 to Aug. 10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Community House. Fee: $340.
- Tennis Camp for ages 8 to 12 will be led by Peter Bradshaw in July.
- Baseball Camp for ages 6 to 14 will meet July 30 to Aug. 3 and Aug. 6 to 10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Williams Middle and Strople.
- Basketball Camp for ages 6 to 10 will take place July 23 to 27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Williams Middle and Strople. Fee: $180.
- Basketball Camp for ages 10 to 15 will be on July 23 to 27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Williams Middle and Strople. Fee: $180.
- Boys Lacrosse Clinic for ages 5 to 9 will take place on July 9 to 13 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Williams Middle and Strople. Fee: $100.
- Boys Lacrosse Camp for ages 10 to 13 will occur from July 2 to 6 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Longmeadow High School (LHS) Fields. Fee: $100.
- Field Hockey Camp for girls ages 10 to 14, will take place July 16 to 20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Russell Field at LHS. Fee: $180.
- Cheerleading Camp for ages 4 to 6 will be offered from July 16 to 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Community House Auditorium. Fee: $130.
- Cheerleading Camp for ages 7 to 10 will be on Aug. 20 to 24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Community House Auditorium. Fee: $180.
- Competition Cheerleading Camp for ages 10 to 14 will occur July 2 to 6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Community House Auditorium. Fee: $158.
- Girls Gymnastics Camp for ages 7 to 13 will be on Aug. 6 to 10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Community House Auditorium. Fee: $180 per person.
- Girls Lacrosse Clinic for grades one to three will take place on July 9 to 13 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Russell Field at LHS. Fee: $100.
- Girls Lacrosse Camp for grades four to seven will occur on July 9 to 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Russell Field at LHS. Fee: $180.
- Girls Lacrosse Clinic for grades eight and nine will be offered on July 2 to 6 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Russell Field at LHS. Fee: $100.
- Soccer Camp for ages 6 to 13 will occur July 9 to 13 or July 9 to 20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Williams Middle School fields. Cost: $180 for one week or $$335 for two weeks.
- Soccer Camp for ages 4 to 6 with Joe Pantuosco will take place July 9 to 13, July 16 to 20 or July 9 to 20 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Williams Middle School and fields. Cost ranges from $100 to $185.
- Volleyball Camp for grades five through nine will be hosted by LHS Varsity Volleyball Coach George Mulry and his players on Aug. 6 to 8 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the LHS gym. Fee: $105.
- U.S Sports Institute "Multi Sport" for ages 7 to 14 will take place Aug. 13 to 17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Bliss Park. Fee: $195. The camp will also be offered Aug. 13 to 17 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Bliss Park. Fee: $149.
- U.S. Sports Institute "Little Squirts Program" for ages 3 to 6 will be offered on Aug. 13 to 17 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Bliss Fields. Fee: $79.
- Flag Football Camp for ages 7 to 12 will be on July 23 to 27 from 9 a.m. to noon at Bliss Park. Fee: $114.
For more information about any of the aforementioned programs, visit www.lprd.net