Museums provide guests a 'Journey to the Middle East'
SPRINGFIELD Families are invited to take an exotic "Journey to the Middle East" at the Springfield Museums during school vacation week from Dec. 27 to 30. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
Scheduled Performances, 1 p.m., D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts
- Dec. 27 An Arabian Adventure by the Tanglewood Marionettes.
- Dec. 28 Magic Carpet Ride by the Crescent Dancers Middle Eastern Dance Troupe.
- Dec. 29 Aladdin and the Magic Lamp by the Gerwick Puppets.
- Dec. 30 Musical Travels through the Middle East by 35th Parallel.
- Visit the holiday exhibit Sugar & Spice: The Land of Gingerbread, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Experiment with hands-on Family Science Adventures, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Pan for gems and minerals in the Museum Mining Company's rushing river sluice, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Make your own mosaic or vase, 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Watch a live reptile demonstration, noon to 1 p.m.
- Make misbaha beads, play gallery games, and try on costumes, noon to 3:45 p.m.
- Go on an "I Spy" scavenger hunt in the D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts; 11 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- See a planetarium show, 11:15 a.m., noon, 1 and 2 p.m. There is an additional fee for this activity.
The Springfield Museums are located on the Quadrangle at 21 Edwards Street. December school vacation week activities will be offered Monday-Thursday, Dec. 27 to 30. Hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Science Museum open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $12.50 for adults, $9 for seniors and college students, $6.50 for children 3 to 17, and free for children under 3 and museum members. Springfield residents are free with proof of address. For information, call 263-6800 or visit www.springfieldmuseums.org